Resolutions

Not too long ago, I was musing to myself that I needed to tweak some of my resolutions for the year. I've never been one to list down the things I should do at the start of each year. But I did so during this Chinese New Year (CNY) as the urge finally came upon me. I had asked 'to have the wisdom to change when the time has come for me to do so'. I've not talked about this before, but I also added specific things I wanted to do this year subsequently; like serving in church, running the marathon, among others. So far, I've served in my church and started a blog (I count this as one of my resolutions even though it was started before CNY), so that leaves running the marathon and a few other small resolutions. Given that I'm still reeling from the toe incident, I think I should try for the half-marathon instead. At least, I can still say I've achieved half of this resolution - ha ha. I can imagine my friends thinking that this is more lame than I was when I was nursing my injured toe.

Anyway, the thing about resolutions is this: they are or should be an expression of how you see your life turning out in the new year. By this, I'm talking about a vision of your future, be it 1 year or a decade down the road. Having a vision can be a powerful thing because it pulls you into the future that you envisage for yourself. Without one, the risk of being stuck in the past is very real. The past can encumber your present and spoil your future. But even if you've a vision of the future, you need to work on it today. Today is what you have to start the journey into the future. The past is the todays that are gone from our lives. The future is determined by how you live today. Each today that you seize to enhance your life in some ways will stand you in good stead going forward. So today is the day that you start on the rest of your life.

I've not talked about how your vision should be determined; which should be based on finding out your purpose in life and determining how to bring out your full potential, as this is rather personal. Depending on your spiritual disposition, you may have different ideas of your purpose in life and how you should live your life. But one thing's for sure, that which gives you the most value is your calling in life. For some, they may have neglected that something which brings true joy to their soul. For others, they may be the lucky ones who end up doing what they like and getting paid for it. Sometimes, I wish I could write for a living. But in my current job as a HR person, I do write a fair bit, so maybe this is my calling in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Another First

Good Friends