My First DSLR Camera

After talking about it for so many years, I finally bought a dslr camera. Mind you, its a second-hand one but I thought I had better try it out before plonking in serious dole on a really high-tech one. (If you want to know, I got the Canon EOS 300D, which is 3-4 years old and can deliver only up to 6.3 mega pixels of picture quality.) For the uninitiated, dslr stands for digital single lens reflex. The main difference between a dslr camera and a digicam is that you compose your shots through the viewfinder and not the LCD display. The image that you see is directed from the lens by a mirror upwards to the viewfinder. This means that you see more details of your shots and you don't have to worry about the glare on your LCD. Of course, a dslr camera also gives you more creative control as you can adjust the shutter speed, aperture value etc. If you're just gonna leave your dslr on automatic mode, you're better off with a digicam.

Ever since I was initiated into the world of National Geographic, I've always been intrigued by photography and dslr cameras. For those who know what I mean, the pictures that the magazine features are as breathtaking as they are beautiful. How can anyone look at nature and the wonderful array of creatures that populate it, and conclude that everything happened by chance. But I digress - that's something for another time under a more philosophical heading. In any case, I had read about one of my good friend's latest toy; a Nikon D80, in her blog and it reminded me how I've wanted to do likewise and learn about photography. (Her name's Lay Suan by the way - I'll start using names cos I've been asked as to why the secrecy - ha ha.) Of course, I fought the feeling for a while thinking that it was just pure envy. But it refused to go away, and I recently jokingly blamed Lay Suan for successfully tempting me to follow in her footstep.

Having tried out my new camera, I must say that it can do wonders. I never knew that shooting in dim light was possible without the flash. Essentially, you just need to slow down the shutter speed or increase the aperture value, both of which allows more light into the camera. But the effect as compared to flash shots is so different; the pictures are softer and they convey a more dreamy atmosphere while being vivid at the same time. I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of what a dslr camera can do. But as of now, I'm totally intrigued and I might just graduate to something more advanced sooner than I think. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself in case I lose steam along the way and my new toy becomes relegated to the recess of my drawer. I know this is sacrilegious to die-hard shutterbugs, and I've been warned that shutterbugs will argue aggressively over which brand is better, so I should tread carefully lest I insult aficionados' sensitivities.

Comments

Thanks for providing such useful information. I really appreciate your professional approach.
Camera warehouse

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First