So Long, Farewell Auf Wiedersehen

For those who know, these are the evergreen lines from the chorus of one of the songs from "The Sound of Music" soundtrack. The reason this entry is so titled is because I'm bidding farewell to my colleagues, bosses and friends in less than 2 weeks' time. I've been with my current employer; MINDEF, since 1996 - a good 13 plus years. In that time, I've had the benefits of meeting good colleagues who became friends and nurturing bosses who were leaders, some of whom became mentors. Admittedly, there are more in the former than in the latter category (and I've talked about them before in my other entries). But I'm still grateful to all my bosses for their patience and kindness during their time with me. Since I'm leaving MINDEF, I don't mind saying that I'm thankful for good leaders (and not just bosses) like BG Yap, Chuan-Jin (who's also a BG now) and Mun Kit who helped me gain a good grounding in strategic defence policy work during the first 5 years of my stay in MINDEF. In my second and current department, I'm grateful for good leaders like Yi Young, Brandon, Kuan Meng and Chad-Son, whose trust in me encouraged me to take on different appointments and varied assignments/projects that has helped to stretch me further than I ever imagine possible. They've also led by example as to how a good leader should be, although its not always easy being sandwiched between management and staff.

In the last 2-3 years, I've realised that a person's mindset can severely limit his/her abilities. This period was the toughest, both in terms of me having to deal with a personal crisis and being asked to help out with a strategic HR study at work, as well as having to try my best to develop/groom 3 new officers. But I enjoyed every minute of it (the work part at least): the constant negotiation with various stakeholders, the mad rush to table papers to different forums which are held fortnightly or monthly, the nitpicking mindset to eyeball every detail to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks etc. In fact, I had a lot of fun, not least because I now enjoy strong camaraderie with my officers that is grounded on friendship and mutual respect. And I realised that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it. Great thinkers who said that "If you think you can, you can and if you think you can't, you can't" knew what they were saying. Your mind can empower you to shake off whatever limitations you have or think you have so that you can reach your full potential and beyond. Or it can shackle you to indulge in constant negativity that will continually burden and defeat you throughout your life.

Now that I'm leaving MINDEF, it is with a bitter sweet fondness and pre-mature nostalgia. After all, I did meet my wife in MINDEF too, in addition to making many good friends. Shakespeare said it well when he had Romeo intoned to Juliet that "parting is such sweet sorrow". Although this was in a romantic context, the same can be said of leaving friendships that one has forged over more than a decade. To my friends and mentors (those in MINDEF and others who've left), thank you for a most fulfilling and memorable time in MINDEF. You've made my day, each and every one of them, during my time there. Thank you ; )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First