Know HR

I've been in HR since 2001. While there have been many ups and downs, I must say I still enjoy my job. Especially my current portfolio which allows me to participate in more strategic-level thinking and doing. As part of my on-going education, and I do believe one is never done learning, I try to suss out new ideas and trends from the web that may be useful to my work, or for that matter, my life.

Recently, I came across a blog by 2 HR consultants; Frank Roche and Sarah Chambers, called Know HR. While there're many websites and blogs about HR, this one stands out for its straight-talking style. The authors make it very clear they don't like HR jargon, unless they're making fun of it ; ) But they're not cynical have-beens in the HR profession. Rather, they really believe that people want to do a good job and that there are ways to motivate them, but communication is key. I especially like their recent post about the way to interview someone. Basically, you should take him/her out to lunch and see how he/she treats the waiters. And after interviewing him/her, ask your receptionist and support staff what they thought. In another post, they said point-blank that HR models should be thrown out: just writing the word 'engagement' on some model doesn't make people more engaged.

Anyway, for my fellow HR compatriots, do check out the blog if you can spare the time. I guarantee it'll make you take a new look at what you do. Sometimes, I think that the rhetoric (in the form of how we market new HR schemes/provisions etc to employees) that we deal with becomes our reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First