Notting Hill

Notting Hill is one of those gems of a movie that has a place in cinematic history.  I just watched another re-run on cable, hence my post.  I can't remember how many times I've seen it, but it never feels old or dated.  I love the movie for a host of reasons.  First, it has a good premise with likeable characters who obviously have onscreen chemistry.  Second, it was a movie watched with important people in my life, in particular 2 of ex-partners.  While what we had have come to an end, I do cherished the times when our paths crossed.  This movie, for some reason, is like a time stamp on my past relationships.  The irony is that for a movie that has a good ending, it marks episodes in my life which didn't pan out this way.  

Still, it's a movie that carries hope even though there was little to warrant it initially.  Will, played by Hugh Grant, inadvertently meets a famous actress, Anna, played by Julia Roberts.  They bumped into each other serendipitiously and fell in love along the way.  Obviously, the chance of a man on the street getting hitched with a 'goddess' is slim, to say the least.  But fate has something in store for them, and Anna finds herself turning to him when she's down, and love blossomed.  Of course, what's a movie without ups and downs, and the path of true love is seldom straight and easy.  Just when things couldn't get any worse, Anna uttered these famous words: "Don't forget.  I'll also just a girl.  Standing in front of a boy.  Asking him to love her."  

With that, she convinced him to take the plunge.  But not before he first turned her down and then going to a lot of trouble to win her back at a press conference.  The movie is witty and funny, with Will's flat mate getting up to all kinds of hilarious antics.  It has great lines and there's not a dull moment to be had.  So if you haven't watched Notting Hill yet, please do yourself a favour and go see it.  I can say that you'll not be disappointed and you are likely to become a fan.  In fact, the movie has gained something of a cult following in recent years, so you're in good company.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First