Samples Pictures

I like to write as though we're already in a conversation and I'm just about to share something.  So, like I was saying, I've earlier bought a Sony SLT camera and have been experimenting with the 3 lenses I have.  Yup, I've 3 lenses.  Talk about jumping into photography in a big way.  To be fair, the kit lens (18-55 mm, f3.5-5.6) that came with the camera didn't count.  Neither does the complimentary prime (50 mm, f1.8) that I got from Harvey Norman, which the salesman threw in to sweeten the deal.  In actual fact, I only paid for the 3rd lens, which was a wide-angle add-on that comes with a macro.  I know for the uninitiated, the above doesn't make much sense, so I'll try my best to explain.

The kit lens is a bit of a zoom lens that is your general purpose walkabout lens.  It comes with the camera, so it's cheap but quite good for those starting out.  The prime has a fixed focal length, so you need to move back and forth to fit the scene into your composition.  It's what photographers used for wedding shots where the scenery and others behind the bride, groom or couple fall into a nice and dreamy blur.  The wide-angle lens takes in more of the scene than a normal one while a macro lens allows you to focus really close, whch is required for floral and insect shots. 

Here's a few shots to illustrate.  The ramen below was taken with the prime lens, hence the background is rather blurred.  You can achieve this with a kit lens too by using a wide aperture.


Below is a shot of a cannonball tree flower using a macro lens, which if you try to photograph using a kit lens, you'll find it impossible to focus the lens:


Ok, I'll post more pictures in time to come.  Hopefully, I'll get better and this will be a productive hobby.  Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Another First

Good Friends