Marina Bay Run

Last Sunday, I woke up at the ungodly hour of 5.30 am. And the reason was I had to drive down to Suntec City, park my car and get ready for a 10 km run. Yup, you guessed it. I was one of the thousands of participants at the Singapore Bay Run. For sacrificing sleep and sleeping early on a Saturday night, I get to be one of those to run across the Marina Bay.

For those who read my earlier posts, you would know that I like to run (as well as read and reminisce). In recent years, my running has been intermittent at best. Before my personal crisis, I had run a lot more. In fact, I used to run up to 5 times a week. At one point, I lost so much weight people asked if I was sick. But I digress. Truth be told, I love running. But this was not always the case. It was something that grew on me. When I was young, I tried running but didn't get very far, both distance and determination wise. But after I persevered and continued running, I was able to run longer. And I started enjoying it so much that I looked forward to every run.

I'm trying to recapture that feeling. On this long road that is my life, I had taken a bad fall. It was so bad I never quite got back on my feet. Sure, I walk along it fine, but this is not living. It's existing, and there's a big difference between the 2. Just like when I first started running, I suppose I can learn to love it again. If I can learn to run again, I can also learn to pick up the pace of my life. Of course, others in similar shoes as I might disagree. It's much easier to throw in the proverbial towel. Life's just way too hard to master or figure out. But what if the tranquility from taking the easy way out damns you to a life of loneliness. Of course, there're risks in starting to run again, both physically and metaphorically. You can slip again and take a bad fall. But the returns are worth taking the risks. No matter what, we shouldn't live life as spectators. We're supposed to participate and suck the marrow out of it, as Mr Keating rightly puts it in Dead Poets' Society.

So, just like I'm starting to run again, I'll start to do likewise for my life. There's so many things I want to do, so many places I want to see and so many people I want to get to know before I die. And I'd probably not be able to do them all, but I'll be damned if I didn't try. So hear this, life! If I fall again, I promise you I'll rise again to continue running. Even if I've to crawl myself to the finishing line, I'll do it. For then I can face my maker and tell him I've tried to make the best of this life He gave me.

Comments

Jan said…
life! go for it! :)
Min said…
2 Tim 4:7 - you can do it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Another First

Good Friends