Another First

This is turning out to be a year of many firsts. In Jan, I started a blog after toying with the idea for years. Then, I bought a digital SLR, again after many years of thinking about it. Now, I'll be trying my hands at baking. Come this Friday, I'll be making tiramisu, among other delectable desserts. It's one of the many welfare events that my company organises and I was inspired to go for it after seeing the email. I also promptly roped in my colleagues, who may have obliged because I also happened to be their boss. But I'd like to think they also look forward to learning how to bake too, and perhaps not to the same extent, spending some quality time with me - ha ha.

I must say I'm looking forward to learning how to bake. I've always been amazed by how chefs can whip up the most dazzling and delicious dessert. I'm sure its both an art and a science. An art because it takes an artiste to create new recipes and present their creations in a way that is both scintillating and sensual. A science because you need to know the right balance of ingredients and how long it takes to bake them to perfection. But most of all, I've always known that food is more than just sustenance for the body. It can be a way to one's soul if you know how to exploit its effect on our sight, smell and taste. If you don't believe me, just look at how different cultures prepare and present their food.

Comments

no man's land said…
Hey, this is cool. Does that mean the next time we have a gathering at my place (when I return, that is), you'll be baking us a cake instead of buying one? Can I place an order in advance in that case (for you to practice - *haha*)? I like chocolate. Pure, sinful, dark chocolate. Thank you very much. =)
bibliomaniac said…
Hey, that's assuming I've learnt how to bake by then - haha. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but you should give me a few months. But sure, if its decent enough to be eaten, I don't mind ;)
no man's land said…
No worries, I'll only be back earliest Feb next year. You have quite a few months to practice. Be diligent! And you can test out the experimental products on the people in the office. *haha* I await your masterpiece eagerly. =)

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends