Time Travel

As you already know, I do quite a fair bit of reading. The books I read range from non-fiction to serious scientific stuff. I started reading the latter genre during my national service days. And the first book I read was Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". It was an intriguing book, partly because I understood so little of it and partly because it talked about time travel. I'm sure we've all thought about going back and forth in time. There must have been something that we did or said or did not do or say that we'd have preferred to do the reverse then. (Of course I wouldn't mind going back in time to catch myself slamming the door against my toe ... sigh.) But once done or said, whether in the positive or negative, there's no turning back the clock for their effects will ripple through time into the future. While to err may be human, not to err is definitely more divine than having forgiveness after one has erred. For not everything can be forgiven by those whom you've hurt and human nature is such that hurt will stay with the person one way or another. And even when one is forgiven, the deed is seldom forgotten. Only God can forgive and forget our mistakes, no matter how grievous the harm to others or ourselves due to our deeds or words.

I remember reading what one writer said, which was that he would like to have 2 lives. One to make mistakes and the other to live without having to make those same mistakes. But alas, this is not to be, so the way forward must be to learn from our mistakes, endeavour never to make them again and make amends no matter how long it takes. But so many of us wallow in self pity that we pick ourselves up and put the past behind us only after a long while. Or we may not even realise the folly of our ways until they stare us squarely in the face, although I've always believed that people in this category are more self-delusional than anything else. In any case, life has a way of making you wake up to the realities of your existence sooner or later. So until such time we have a time machine, we should take care to live our lives in a way that do good to ourselves and others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First