Human Stupidity 2

Due to human stupidity, I recently injured my left fourth toe. Alright, it almost came off because my left foot was caught in the kitchen door. Based on the responses I've been getting, it seems that people are baffled as to how a grown man like me could've put his toe in such peril, not to mention getting it caught in the door in the first place. I'm sure they must've thought that such acidents happened only to kids. Even teenagers should be free from such everyday threats to life and limb. Obviously, a more detailed explanation is in order - it doesn't pay to be modest when people already think you're stupid. So for those of you who haven't been to my house, the living room is elevated vis-a-vis the kitchen and the kitchen door closes in towards the living room. So I was standing between the 2 areas, and my left foot was perched with my toes dangling from the living room towards the kitchen. When the kitchen door closed on my foot, it was wedged against the elevated edge of the living room area, hence the extent of the injury and even more serious dent to my ego. So there you go - never do what I did while entertaining conflicting thoughts. In my case, it was deciding whether to proceed to the living room (where my dinner was sans condiments) or return to the kitchen (to get the aforesaid condiments). Your mind, while capable of a host of magnificent functions and endowed with immense creative potential, may not always coordinate all your bodily actions in perfection. So in the instance while I decided to head back to the kitchen, my hand was still closing the door behind me with my foot still perched where it was. I can imagine my friends; and some have confessed to doing so, having a good laugh out of this but be careful you don't get stitches.

Which reminds me - I had my stitches taken out last Friday. One of my colleagues told me that it'd be a bit painful, so you can imagine my concern on the way to the hospital. But the doctor was nice about it and assured me that except for some blood, it should not hurt too much. I was thinking "did he say blood? That's not exactly reassuring right?" He added that they don't even give patients an anesthetia before taking out their stitches. So I grimaced and expected the worst; courtesy of what I experienced when the freak accident happened. But as it turned out, it was rather unwarranted. I wouldn't say it was painless, but it felt more like an ant bite - 4 to be exact for each of the stitches I had. On the whole, it was tolerable except when the nurse did something to the wound that she shouldn't have for it elicited a short but rather painful response. What was worse was the worried look on her face, which she then promptly transferred to me exponentially when she went out for a second opinion. I calmed down only after the senior nurse who came in proclaimed that all was well and I could go home without having my toe bandaged. But she indulged me when I asked if it was safe for it to be exposed to the elements when it was still healing.

So this marks the end of my ordeal although I'm sure it'd take a while before I can run again. There goes the Marina Bay Run, which I had wanted to take part in to get up to speed for the year-end marathon. It's one of the Chinese New Year resolutions I made this year, so we'll see how things go. In any case, June is almost upon us, so it may be timely to take stock of my resolutions. There's still time to tweak some of them ... hmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First