My 3 'Rs' of Life

Lately, my life seems to be defined by words starting with the letter 'R'. In fact, there are 3 words to be exact. Besides reading, all I seem to do in between is running and reminiscing. Of course, there's work but I'm talking about what I do after work and on weekends in case my bosses get the wrong idea ; )

Reading is something which I've always loved. Books have an ability to transport you to seemingly parallel universes or to another world that you'll never know of, if not for our glorious writers. I'm very much taken by how a new book smells, how it feels to the touch and how it promises to deliver a good read. There's so much anticipation wrapped up between the covers of a book, and I suspect an equal amount of disappointment for those who are eventually let down. But I believe that those gems of a read that come one's way make up for the other not-so-good ones that you've to go through in the process. Or perhaps we should be less critical of the normal reads because they still satisfy the desire for a good story, albeit to a much lesser extent than if one were to read a great book.

Besides reading, I also like to run. Unless you're into running, its difficult for me to explain the indescribable feeling of achievement when you've gone the extra mile or better your previous timing. And of course, let's not forget the endorphin rush that faithfully awaits you at the end of each run, and how it never fails to propel you to euphoric highs. For me, running also allows me to discipline myself as I tend to run alone. When you're trudging along on the road and both your mind and body yell at you at the top of their voices that they wanna go home, you need discipline to shut them out and continue running. But of course, there're days when they prevail and I go home after 10 minutes or less ... sigh.

Last but not least, I'm into reminiscing these days. Perhaps I'm getting older and the good old days are beckoning me from the recesses of my mind. Or maybe I've mellowed and I'm learning to appreciate people I've met and things I've experienced in a new light. Either way, I'm sure there's a balance to be struck between reminiscing about the past and living in the present, while keeping your eyes on the future. So there you have it - my life as defined by the 3 'R' words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First