Food for Thought

For those who know me well, I can come across as a foodie. This is because I really like my food and I'm prepared to drive to out-of-the-way places to try out new finds. I also heartily share with them good makan places whose cuisine I've savoured or delectable eateries I've stumbled upon. Most of my friends appreciate how I go ga ga over good food, but one went to the extent of labelling me an epicurean. Trust me, I did a double take too when she called me that. An epicurean is someone who's fond of luxury or indulgence in sensual pleasures, especially in eating and drinking. You can imagine my indignation because I merely wanted to avoid wasting calories on yucky food.

When it comes to people who love their food, the question inevitably arises as to whether they live to eat. Or should it be a case that we eat to live. The former seeks to indulge the physical and physiological, with no regard for the higher purpose of living. One only needs to think of Socrates' axiom that the unexamined life is not worth living to see where I'm coming from. The latter looks at food as nothing more than fuel for our physical and mental activities, and disregards its importance in the enjoyment of life. The answer, like most answers, lies somewhere in between the 2 extremes. The key to enjoying life while seeking out its meaning is moderation. We should neither just live to eat nor eat to live. [Not that doing either exclusively is possible in practice, except maybe the good old Romans who used to dine till they puked, after which they went back for more food.] Rather, we should embrace good cuisine as one of the main ingredients of an enjoyable life while maintaining a proper perspective on its purpose in sustaining our existence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First