Photography

After my last attempt to take up photography, including getting a second hand Canon SLR (Single Lens Reflex) which has since stopped working, I never quite shook off the idea.  I've always been fascinated by the creative process involved in composing and capturing images.  They range from taking portrait to landscape pictures under various conditions, either natural or otherwise.  The latter category is why a SLR is useful, as you can adjust the shutter speed or aperture size to create different effects, from freezing fast actions to slowing them into a blur.  

I recently got myself a Sony A57, which uses a translucent mirror technology, i.e., the mirror doesn't reflex unlike a normal SLR.  Rather, the translucent mirrors allows the image both to be reflected onto the sensor for capturing and the viewfinder for composing simultaneously.  For a normal SLR, the mirror needs to swing out of the way after composing for the sensor to take the image.  What this means that the camera works faster and can take up to 12 frames per second, which is only possible for very high end SLR.  Sony calls their cameras in this range SLT or Single Lens Translucent.  

I've been playing around with my new toy for a few weeks, and there're still functions and effects that I've yet to experiment with.  Suffice to say that this camera does a lot more than what my second hand SLR could, and this of course made me all the more excited about taking more images.  I just regret not getting the camera before my Korea trip, which I had gone for with Jason, Siok Ling and Ashlyn.  In the end, of the 4 people, I was the only one without a camera.  Jason and Siok Ling had their mirrorless cameras from Olympus while Ashlyn used a Canon Powershot.  

I'll be going for a complimentary course by Sony later this month to familiarise myself with the functionalities of my new camera.  Hopefully, I'll be competent soon and start posting nice pictures for comments and critique.  We'll see how it goes.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Good Friends

Another First