East to North

Early last month, I shifted out of my 3-bedroom condo in the east to stay in my brother's jumbo flat in the north for a couple of months. [I had sold my place and am now waiting to buy another apartment when the property market's softer next year.] Although its a jumbo flat, I only have a room as compared to having the whole apartment to myself in the past. This aside, I've to get used to living with my parents, my brother and sister-in-law and my niece and nephew. To say its a big change is an understatement.

While I wasn't quite the hermit before the shift, I had gotten used to having a lot of time and space on my own. And the funny thing is being alone doesn't always mean you're lonely. But you can be lonely even if you're surrounded by people, which is how I feel sometimes. In addition, I've to get used to living in the north, which is not glamourous by any stretch. But it has its charms, such as the neighbourhood centre with all sorts of knick knacks for sale. I had forgotten about this since leaving my previous flat in Choa Chu Kang.

On the whole, I wouldn't say it was a humbling experience. It takes a while to get used to living in the heartland again, but I realise I'm more resilient than I thought. I must say I've had fleeting thoughts of self-pity before I shifted. But having been here for more than a month, its more good than bad. At the very least, I can play with the kids, have access to my mom's cooking as and when I'm home and be able to take care of my parents a bit more than before. Its a funny thing when you're older that you don't mind spending time with family. I guess you realise they're the ones who'll always be there for you. Blood is after all thicker than water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being A Dad in My Fifties

Another First

Good Friends