Last Sunday, I woke up at the ungodly hour of 5.30 am. And the reason was I had to drive down to Suntec City, park my car and get ready for a 10 km run. Yup, you guessed it. I was one of the thousands of participants at the Singapore Bay Run. For sacrificing sleep and sleeping early on a Saturday night, I get to be one of those to run across the Marina Bay. For those who read my earlier posts, you would know that I like to run (as well as read and reminisce). In recent years, my running has been intermittent at best. Before my personal crisis, I had run a lot more. In fact, I used to run up to 5 times a week. At one point, I lost so much weight people asked if I was sick. But I digress. Truth be told, I love running. But this was not always the case. It was something that grew on me. When I was young, I tried running but didn't get very far, both distance and determination wise. But after I persevered and continued running, I was able to run longer. And I started enjoying it so ...
I'm not sure if my friends are into Korean singers and songs, but I recently got hooked after one of my friends in the office, Siok Ling, introduced me to this amazing quintet of Korean girls who belt out this catchy hit song "Nobody" with equally catchy moves. In fact, the 'Wonder Girls' as they're called, are so big that there are performances in local clubs mimicking their sleek and sexy moves. I've also been told that there are dance classes teaching those interested how to dance the dance. The other day I was watching the MV of the song and my niece happened to be in the room. And she took an instant liking to the tune and started following the moves. I was like, my God, kids are so happening nowadays. She was so into the song that she told me to join her. And this from a 5-year old girl! I can tell she's the type who relishes attention in school. Looking at her, I won't be surprised if she grows up breaking many boys and eventually men...
For those who know, these are the evergreen lines from the chorus of one of the songs from " The Sound of Music " soundtrack. The reason this entry is so titled is because I'm bidding farewell to my colleagues, bosses and friends in less than 2 weeks' time. I've been with my current employer; MINDEF , since 1996 - a good 13 plus years. In that time, I've had the benefits of meeting good colleagues who became friends and nurturing bosses who were leaders, some of whom became mentors. Admittedly, there are more in the former than in the latter category (and I've talked about them before in my other entries). But I'm still grateful to all my bosses for their patience and kindness during their time with me. Since I'm leaving MINDEF , I don't mind saying that I'm thankful for good leaders (and not just bosses) like BG Yap, Chuan - Jin (who's also a BG now) and Mun Kit who helped me gain a good grounding in strategic defence policy work du...
Comments